Dermapen is the most exciting recent innovation in skin rejuvenation. It is a micro-needling device with a unique tip that provides exceptional results, and can treat a number of different skin conditions. Micro-needling (or skin needling) is for skin tightening, lifting and rejuvenation. Treatments stimulate natural collagen and elastin production in the skin, helping to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, improve stretch marks, minimize acne pore size, improve surgical and acne scars. These treatments provide superior or similar results as IPL, laser resurfacing, chemical peeling with hardly any downtime and lower cost.
- Short treatment times
- Virtually no downtime
- Minimal discomfort
- Safe on all skin types *when performed by a trained physician or skin expert at The Derm Centre.
Skin Conditions that may be treated:
- Lip wrinkles
- Skin Texture / Tone
- Pore appearance
- Increase product absorption
- Superficial facial wrinkles
- Skin texure on the neck
- Acne Scarring / Trauma Scarring
- Melasma and Pigmentation
- Textural improvements to chest
- Stretch marks
- Treatment on the face is the primary location, but skin needling can successfully be used on any area of the body.
How does skin needling / micro-needling works:
The premise is simple – create a small wound and the skin will respond with collagen production and new skin cells. Depending on the depth of the needle penetration, the DermaPen can offer skin rejuvenation levels from the simple enhancement of product absorption to the clinical treatment of scars and wrinkles.
How deep does the DermaPen go?
From very superficial penetration to deep dermal penetration, the professional applications have a wide range of potential to improve and correct skin problems without the use of lasers. Penetration ranges begin at cosmetic depth of 0.25mm to clinical treatment depths up to 2.5mm.
- Light penetration opens the skin long enough for the introduction of specific treatment serums. Since most product molecules are too large to cross the skin barrier, they can only be minimally effective.The DermaPen opens the skin for a few minutes and this allows a huge increase of product penetration – your product ingredients can then reach beneath the surface where they will do the most good.Treatment serums can be selected for skin lightening, hydration, texture and pore tightening.
- Mid penetration depths can have a very positive impact on superficial sun damage and light scarring to improve skin texture and tone and a visible improvement in pore size appearance.
- Deeper levels of penetration can improve acne scars, burn scars, stretch marks and tighten skin and soften wrinkles.
DermaPen reduces the risk of post treatment pigmentation that is more prevalent with laser heat for ethnic skin (Patients will still need to use sun protection and avoid heat exposure while in the recovery phase.
Depending on the treatment goal, you can expect to see results immediately for product introduction and benefit in 4 to 6 months for scarring.
Is skin needling painful?
Superficial treatment levels are very tolerable with nothing more than topical numbing gel (the lightest application requires no numbing at all) applied prior to the treatment. In the instance of aggressive treatments, we will discuss the options for making the treatment the most comfortable for you.
What about Downtime?
Day 1: Erythema or red appearance will depend upon how aggressive the treatment was performed.Day 2: A red hue or pink hue persists like a moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.Day 3: Skin can be pink or normal color. Swelling subsides.
The Derm Centre team of skin professionals can recommend a personalized skin care and treatment program that is medically-safe and clinically effective for you. At each consultation, we will:
- Review your skin concerns and your medical/treatment history
- Conduct a thorough examination of your skin
- Explain any recommended treatments, frequency and costs
- Review pre- and post treatment care instructions
- Answer any questions you may have to ensure you are comfortable with your treatment options