Following the same skin care routine year round may not work so well when the humidity drops. Without a change in your skin care, dry air can make fine lines and wrinkles more noticeable. Dry skin can itch, flake, crack, and even bleed.
To help heal dry skin and prevent its return, dermatologists recommend the following.
- Prevent baths and showers from making dry skin worse.
- Apply moisturizer immediately after washing
- Use an ointment or cream rather than a lotion
- Wear lip balm
- Use only gentle, unscented skin care products
- Wear gloves
- Choose non-irritating clothes and laundry detergent
- Stay warm without cozying up to a fireplace or other heat source
- Add moisture to the air